NORTHBRIDGE, Mass. – Nomination papers for elected office in the May 21 annual town election will be available in the town clerk's office until March 28.
The election thus far is shaping up to be an interesting one, with races for Board of Selectmen, moderator and trustee of Soldiers and Sailors Memorials.
Robert A. Parker Jr., a member of the Recreation Committee, returned nomination papers last week for a three-year position on the Board of Selectmen. John E. Brown, has also taken out nomination papers for one of two three-year terms on that board.
Parker and Brown will challenge incumbent selectmen Charles Ampagoomian Jr. and James J. Athanas, who took out papers for re-election.
The position of moderator will also be a contested race if all who took out nomination papers return them.
Incumbent Harold Gould, moderator for more than 35 years, returned his nomination papers. Former Selectmen John A. (Jack) Davis and Russell D. Collins took out papers and said they plan to challenge him.
School Committee member Timothy Doiron, appointed to fill a vacancy last year, has taken out papers for the one three-year term available this year.
Incumbent School Committee member Karen Peterson Kittredge said she will not seek re-election this year.
John Patrick Shannahan took out papers to run for re-election to a five-year term on the Housing Authority.
Ronald L. Massey took out papers for a three-year, veteran position on the Trustees of Soldiers’ Memorials. He challenges incumbent Trustee Ralph Andonian who took out papers for re-election.
Barbara Gaudette, a member of the Planning Board, took out papers for re-election.
Available positions in the May 21 town election are:
• Two three-year terms on the Board of Selectmen
• One three-year term on the School Committee -- two committee members are up for re-election, but only one position will be filled, as the town is reducing the nine-member board to five members
• One three-year term as town moderator
• Two three-year terms on the Planning Board, currently held by Barbara H. Gaudette and Richard P. Griggs
• One three-year, nonveteran term on the Trustees of Soldiers’ Memorials, currently held by Jeff Allard
• One five-year term on the Redevelopment Authority, currently unfilled
• One four-year term on the Redevelopment Authority, currently unfilled
• One three-year term on the Redevelopment Authority, currently unfilled
• One two-year term on the Redevelopment Authority, currently unfilled
• One five-year term on the Housing Authority
Papers must be returned to the registrar of voters with the signatures of at least 50 registered voters by 5 p.m. April 2.