NORTHBRIDGE, Mass. – Northbridge residents who want to be candidates in the May 26 annual town election may pick up nomination papers from the Town Clerk's office beginning Feb. 5.
Nomination papers will be available through March 28 and must be returned to the Registrar of Voters for certification by 5 p.m. April 2.
Town officials up for re-election include Selectmen Charles Ampagoomian Jr. and James J. Athanas and Moderator Harold D. Gould.
School Committee seats held by Timothy Doiron and Karen Peterson Kitteredge expire this year, along with a seat that is vacant. At the annual town meeting last year, voters approved a town charter change that reduces the number of school board members to five over a three-year period. Because of that change, only one three-year term on the School Committee will be on the ballot.
Two members of the Planning Board, Barbara Gaudette and Richard Griggs, are up for re-election this year, as are Jeffrey Allard, a member of the Trustees of Soldiers’ Memorials, and John P. Shanahan on the Housing Authority.
There are four vacancies on the Redevelopment Authority, all of them because there were no candidates in previous elections.
The election and town meeting schedule follows:
- April 16, 5 p.m.: Last day and hour for filing nomination papers with the town clerk.
- April 17: Last day to register to vote in the May 7 annual spring Town Meeting. The town clerk’s office will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- April 18, 5 p.m.: Last day and hour for filing withdrawals of, or objections to, nominations for annual town election.
- May 1: Last day to register to vote in the May 21 annual town election. The town clerk’s office will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- May 7: Annual spring Town Meeting.
- May 14: Last day to post warrant for annual town election.
- May 21: Annual town election. Polls open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Oct. 2: Last day to register to vote in the Oct. 22 annual fall Town Meeting. The town clerk’s office will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Oct. 22: Annual fall Town Meeting.
Unregistered voters may also register to vote during the town clerk’s normal business hours which are Monday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Tuesday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.